Saturday, August 9, 2008

I heart invisible thread!

I wasn't 100% happy with the finishing stitch on the sensory snuggly... I missed how the decorative stitch from the tag blankets gave the blanket a really polished/finished look, but I didn't think I could incorporate a top stitch on the snuggly because of the variety of texture, naps, and color of the quilted pieces. But I was talking it over with my friend and partner in crafting crime, Anne (who makes all the delicious Elle Belle quilts) and after discussing about 3 other possible solutions we had an "A Ha!" moment... invisible thread!

I've used invisible thread in the past on the one, and very likely only, quilt I made. It was an I Spy quilt, so there wasn't one color that would've worked throughout the variety of fabrics on the top and I didn't want to take away from the novelty prints, so I just used the "stitch in the ditch" method to quilt it with invisible thread on the top. Side Note: I have pictures of that quilt in process and had every intention of posting about it on my blog, but just making it was such a process (I have a problem with instant gratification!), I have felt justified in not "working" on it in any way, shape, or form since. It's been a year though, so the frustration level is finally waining and maybe I'll actually post about it sometime this week.

So, here are the pictures of the new design. I was already aware that this first test snuggly wasn't perfectly square (all snugglies since have been... again in part due to the quilting genius of Anne), the camera angle didn't help, but the top stitch draws even more attention to it, so consider yourself forewarned. Other than that, I really love how it looks. I like that it's a simple clean line that adds another dimension to the geometric/linear design of it. Since the top is invisible thread, it almost makes it look embossed. The bottom thread is pink or blue depending on the snuggly. I'm off to make a boy version (fittingly, for Anne's new son) so I can add pics of the new way to the listing. What do you think?

I broke out the invisible thread again tonight when I finished the count and spell color recognition beanbags. Yes, they're FINALLY done (again with the lesson in patience)! After my patience and instant gratification comments tonight, I bet you can guess that I avoid hand sewing at all costs. I leave a 1 1/2 inch opening at the bottom center of each beanbag and top stitch them closed after I fill them. I would've gone completely mad trying to exactly match the color of all 12 fabrics with thread that I would've used to top stitch a 1 inch hole closed with... never mind the expense. Invisible thread to the rescue! I used invisible thread on the color side and black on the print side, they look perfect! I literally just finished them and will post the pictures tomorrow after I've had a chance to take them in natural light.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates