Monday, January 17, 2011

Fabric (non-manilla) Folder

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to store cut-out pattern pieces?  I've been keeping mine in one of those boxes that's made to hold magazines... but they're unruley and every time I try to slide a new piece in, it gets caught on another one and bends.  So I had this idea and I'm not sure if it's really much better, but I thought I'd at least give it a try.

This is the Document Duvet from Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects book.  I made it with a decor weight fabric I bought on impulse at Ikea that seemed too "happy" for me to do much with after I got it home. 

The patterns I've bought at Jo-Ann's come in their own envelopes obviously, and even though they never fold up as neatly after you've used them, I still manage to cram them back into the envelope. Those will stay in the magazine holder box thingie.  But, I don't have that many of those.  Most of the pattern pieces I have are cut from tutorials, pattern files I've bought online, or designer patterns I've bought in fabric shops that don't come in the traditional envelope.  So I'm thinking I'll put each pattern in a ziploc bag, label it with the pattern name, hole punch the top, put them all on a metal ring, and store them in my handy dandy fabric non-manilla folder I just made.
Do you think it'll work?  I'd love to hear how you store your patterns!

Photobucket




4 comments:

Lisa said...

that is a great idea...im thinking perhaps a binder with the pattern packaging in the front and perhaps put each "view" in a ziplock as you cut it up...you are making me feel bad having the very large rubbermaid bucket full of round shaped pattern envelopes ;))

Lotussooz said...

I store all my files in manilla folders 6x9 that are all labeled..

Anonymous said...

I store mine in an Ikea 16 X 12 pink boxes with the patterns I use frequently put in as is. These boxes can stack on top of each other. I keep one box for current projects I'm working on and when I'm too busy I can just fold up the pattern, toss it in and close the lid! I have a lot of my own pattern designs so this works for me!

Liberty said...

I have mine labeled in manilla folders... I have a cardboard file folder specifically for all my tutorial and ebook projects. It's pretty ugly. I keep meaning to spice it up a little, but there are too many other projects that keep my attention, lol. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates