Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Boys Boys Boys

With two dress up playing, hair bow wearing, baby doll cuddling, pink room loving girls in our house, we’re surrounded by all things girly girl! So when it comes to making things for friends & family with boys, I’m at somewhat of a loss. Babies aren’t so hard because lots of my standard baby gifts (tag blankets, slings, hooded towels, & patchwork rattle balls) work just fine in boy colors. But, I’ve been hard at work trying to come up with things for toddler and older boys.

The biggest hit so far, was this Super Hero cape for a 5 year old birthday boy. It was super simple to make! I just drew half the cape shape out on a roll of paper, folded the fabric in half, pinned the pattern along the fold and cut it out. Repeat with the lining fabric. Iron on (and sew if you’d like) a badge for the outer fabric. Pin the outer and lining fabrics right sides together, sew leaving a space to turn through. Turn it right sides out, top stitch all the way around, and sew Velcro at the neck. Let me know if you’d use a pattern, it would be easy enough to trace the one I made onto pages you could print and tape together.

Check out these other little boy goodies I found on Etsy (click on the picture to go to that item’s listing):

What do you like to buy for little boys?

4 comments:

Janna said...

I would totally love a pattern. I'm terrible at drawing my own. Barely passed geometry :)

Thanks. Love it!

Karie said...

Super cute cape!!! I love it! As a soon-to-be mommy of a boy I really enjoyed this post! It is so hard to find cool boy items that are hip, but not too girly! Thanks for sharing!

Stacey - Elle Belle said...

Thanks for the comment Karie, glad you liked it!
Janna, I'll post a pattern.. and maybe a more proper tutorial... after this week's couponing series. Thanks for the comment!

sewitsforyou said...

Thanks for including me! I love all of the boy finds. Hope you, Doug and the girls are good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates