Friday, January 15, 2010

Just needed a little boost

I have a confession… my 4 year old was still sitting in a highchair at dinner time. We used to eat at our counter/bar, which only has room for two adults, so we would just pull her up beside us and she’d eat on her tray. When the new little arrived we decided that family dinner was an important time, even for the members of the family that didn’t “eat” yet. So now, we eat at our table… go figure… baby in the highchair and 4 year old in a chair. So what does that have to do with anything?! Aside from the fact that I have to have my sewing accoutrement put away so as to rid the dinner table of sharp objects and designer fabric (no one wants to see Mommy in a fit of panic when my latest pretty is doused with spaghetti sauce), it also gave me an excuse to buy the laminated cotton I’ve been lusting after. Enter the booster seat from the new One Yard Wonders wonder:

This is a pretty simple project; however I did manage to mess up 2 of the corners on my first attempt. If you don’t want to ruin a piece of fabric like I did (seam ripping isn’t really an option since the holes would stay in the fabric/lamination and show), be sure to measure the corners from the edge side of the triangle, and not the folded side… that will hopefully make sense to you when you’re working through the pattern… you all do these projects with me right? Right?? Also, I couldn’t find any reasonably priced buckwheat hulls, so I doubled the width of the foam insert and went with 4 lbs of plastic pellets (the kind they put in beanie babies) instead. It’s comfy and soft and I don’t feel guilty about using plastic instead of an organic material because it is laminated fabric stuffed with foam in the first place after all. My last little tid bit is that after I turned it right side out, and before I stuffed it, I added a handle to one side so that we can carry it with us and she won’t have to sit in those sticky/dirty/when was the last time this thing was cleaned?? booster seats ever again!

Look! I made it through that entire post without whining about having to hand sew the booster closed… I so deserve a gold star!

4 comments:

One Yard Wonders said...

Your gold star is well deserved - great job on the booster seat! We'd love it if you would share your completed One-Yard Wonder projects on our flickr photo group http://www.flickr.com/groups/oneyardwonders

Happy sewing!

xo,
Rebecca & Trish

Sue at nobaddays said...

Very cute - LOVE the fabric!

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

ok I really need to check out that book, you're the second mention I've seen of it in the last 5 minutes of blog surfing

Unknown said...

Very cute idea! I might have to try one of these...sewing and I don't get along very well, but I may have to dust off the sewing machine to give this one a try! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates