Monday, April 13, 2009

An Easter Cottage

I had a little wooden family made for Elle last Christmas (see my I can’t believe it post). They usually live in the houses, cars, and little cities Elle builds for them with her blocks, but I thought they needed a soft cozy place to rest between block worlds. So I made her this little fabric doll house purse for Easter.

I absolutely LOVE the fabric I picked out with Karie at Fiberologie! I’ve been eyeing that lantern/ladybug print since my first trip into her shop and she recently got this adorable mushroom and fawn print in that was just begging for a whimsical project.

This was a different type of project than I usually take on. The house is constructed with sheets of plastic canvas wrapped in batting and then “slip covered” in fabric with stitches between each panel that become the fold lines.
There was also some hand stitching required and I didn’t have a pattern to follow... more like an outline. There weren’t enough “rules” to the process for my preference, but it came together well, and I liked working on the little details like the appliqué window and door with button knob and the fabric covered buttons that keep it closed. Elle loves her little house and wants to get to work right away making the family beds to sleep in.

2 comments:

sewitsforyou said...

oh I love this purse. I want an adult version. it is so very cute. I am sure she loved it.

Unknown said...

Wow! That turned out WONDERFULLY! You are so talented!

thanks for linking up!

Be sure to link up on today's link party!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates