Monday, April 18, 2011

Charging Station


Between the laptops, iPhones, iPods, and headsets that require charging in our house, this little end table next to our couch was completely engulfed in a crazy tangled wire mess!  I really wish I had taken a before picture for you... it would be easy enough to stage... but the thought of going back there even for just a moment makes me shutter! I'm so loving this really useful and super cheap craft project my Doug and I tackled this weekend, a charging station!

Here's the how to if you want to give it a try.  I started with a box we already had on hand:

Next I measured the plug for a little power cord we also already had on hand and drew a square on the bottom back side of the box big enough to fit the plug through.
Then I cut it out using a box knife & cleaned up the rough edges with some black electrical tape

Next I measured the top of the box and marked it for three evenly spaced 1" holes.  Then we drilled the holes in the top of the box with a 1" hole saw (that's the drill bit thingie on the counter next to the box).

The holes were pretty rough looking, but these 1" grommets made for curtains finished the top and bottom sides of the lid off nicely.  We just hot glued them into the holes.


The best part was loading it full of all those cords and closing the lid!
Since I had the box, the power strip, and the hole cutting bit, the project only cost me .67 for the electrical tape and $5.50 for the grommets (I had a 50% off a regular priced item Jo-Anns coupon).  Not bad for less than $7!


Photobucket 
 
Pin It

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so clever!

Karie said...

That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Good idea. Think you meant to write "shudder"in first paragraph....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates