Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Grow with you skirt (a.k.a. wrap skirt)

Since my pre-pregnancy clothes are getting pretty snug I decided this wrap skirt from the Sew What! book I got for Christmas would be the perfect project to work up for myself.

Clothing is not my favorite thing to sew. I don't love trying to get the fit just right and even though this is just a wrap skirt, it is supposed to be an a-line. The way the book instructs you to get the right pattern is to take your waist & your hip measurements, mark the waist measurement on the fabric and then mark your hip measurement the distance from you waist to your hip down from the waist measurement, then draw a line connecting the two and continue that angle to the hem line. The problem was that I didn't want to wear the skirt on my natural waist. My "where I want to wear the skirt" measurement and my hip measurement weren't that different, so it didn't create much of an a-line, it's pretty close to a straight skirt. I also changed the pattern a bit. In the book, it ties in the front with the overlap in the back, but I wanted the tie on the side and the overlap on the front side of the skirt, so I made one of the ties longer than the other and put a belt loop on the inside back of the skirt.

Over all I'm happy with how it turned out. I think I'll get some good use out of it during this pregnancy... now I just have to get a few more things done before we find out if we're having a boy or a girl and I start on my already a mile long "to make for the baby" list.

3 comments:

sewitsforyou said...

I love that fabric...it is super cool. Maybe I will learn to sew someday...

Maria and Vincent said...

beautiful creation ! I love it

Athena's Armoury said...

I bet you'll look adorable in it! By the way, congrats on your next bundle!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates