Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's the Small Things

On my list of "projects to tackle before we find out if we're having a boy or girl" was a cover for a lumbar support pillow thingie that I used at my day job and was a total life saver during my last pregnancy. I work in an office just 3 days a week, but I figured now that I know better (I didn't start sewing until just after Elle turned 1) why spend those three days looking at hideous blue polyester?!

This was my first attempt at a slip cover. I don't know if there's a technical way to do this, but this is what made sense to me. First, I decided I better not ruin the hideous blue polyester cover the support came with so that I can return it to the supply room post ginormous belly in the event that one of the drones in my office would actually prefer the synthetic, lint and hair trapping fibers over my stylish breathable cotton cover (as a side note, I don't think everyone I work with is a drone... only those that would shun my chic new cover). So, I seam ripped all the seams and just took it apart. I'm sure sewing it back together will take priority about 1 day before my return from maternity leave or when I get tired of having the blue pieces in the "quick projects" basket in my sewing room, whichever comes first. I made sure to mark where the pieces went on the back of the piece as I took it apart. I pinned the pieces to my fabric and because the original cover was stretchy polyester and my new cover is 100% not stretchy cotton I decided to cut most of the cotton pieces on the bias and also cut them about a quarter of an inch (my seam allowance) bigger than the original piece. From there, it was only a matter of pinning the pieces and stitching them together one at a time. Once the top was finished I fit it around the support pillow to see if it was a good fit before I stitched the back piece with the zipper on... it was, and waa laa... office style and comfort for the pregnant back!

1 comments:

RedMarionette said...

Much cuter! You are so clever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates