Thursday, December 2, 2010

Fruit Sushi



The parents at Elle's school take turns bringing in snacks for the kids for the week.  So a couple times during the school year, we have to come up with a little snack to pack for 18 kids.  This week was Elle's first snack week.  

I thought it would be fun to make our snacks sort of interactive/hands on... that is the Montessori way after all.  We did a couple simple things like applesauce with a few toppings to choose from and ants on a log (celery with almond butter... sheesh what's up with kids and peanut alergies?!?... and raisens) but we ended the week with Elle's favorite - SUSHI!  Let me just take this second to say how happy it makes me that Elle loves sushi as much as I do.  

Okay so, clearly I could not send "real" sushi to school for Elle's classmates... I think the teachers already have an idea about how crazy I am, but that would erase any doubt!  We opted for fruit sushi.  I saw this idea on a bento blog and I would love to give credit to the genius Mom who thought of this... if it was you, please speak up.    

A marshmallow "rice", with a mandarin orange "shrimp" on top, wrapped in fruit leather "seaweed" (I shop the health food section at Sweet Bay to get all natural made from fruit puree fruit leather) has got to be the cutest snack ever.  Dontcha think?!  
Photobucket 
This post linked to on:

6 comments:

Pen and Paperie said...

That is fantastic!! Can't wait to try this with my sister and my niece!

Lissa (The Wedding Bistro at Bellenza) said...

What a great child-friendly spin on sushi! And pretty to look at, too.

Rhiannon said...

very super cute! i love sushi and food that looks like it!

Jessica A said...

omg sushi i can eat! i'm so trying this with gia. she will love it! :)

Stacey - Elle Belle said...

Pen & Paperie... have you tried it yet? How'd it go???

sewitsforyou said...

love this. I am going to have to borrow this idea. So cute/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates