Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bo Peep

Why do I always forget how much I dislike sewing clothes from a pattern? If I decide to do it again in the future I really must take a class because there has got to be some secret trick I’m missing. They NEVER fit according to the size indicated on the pattern. Every time I make an outfit I try it on once I get the main pieces together and it’s always off by a mile. Elle’s Bo Peep costume was no different. Here’s what it should look like according to the pattern I bought (McCall's M5728):

I started with the vest. When I tried it on her, I could grab about 8” of material in the back. If I tried to make the back smaller the arm holes got too small. So, I decided to cut the sleeves off and make it a strapless top. I finished the top, made the white shirt, and the hat. I would’ve made a white tutu, but I’ve been seriously busy lately and decided to just cut down a long tutu I made for her for another costume she wore… even though it was sort of purpley… I figured “it’ll be dark when people see the costume anyway” (except for on my blog… duh!).

I finish everything and try it on her… the vest without sleeves (a.k.a. a strapless top) isn’t long enough. If she wears it up under her arms the peplum thingies stick out from her rib cage. Sooo, she had to wear it low Oktoberfest/slutty Halloween costume bustiere style:

So it didn’t turn out exactly like I had envisioned, but I’m happy with it over all. She got so many compliments on her costume! She spent the entire night saying “Thank you. My Mommy made it for me” and “Mommy, everyone loves my costume!”

Oh, and apparently sewing your own Bo Peep costume is the only way to do it these days because you can’t purchase one at a Halloween store. I thought we would be able to pick up a crook somewhere, but no... knives that spurt blood, bullet shot wounds,and machetes yes, wholesome story book character accessories no. Daddy had to get creative and heat up some PVC tubing, bend it into a crook, and put a rubber stopper on the bottom. I sewed a white satin sleeve for it and hot glued ribbon & bow around it.

Of course there also has to be a sheep… in the stroller. Cotton balls glued to a onesie with fabric glue and a cutesy lamb ear hat crocheted by Grandma made for the cutest sheep around.

I love this picture! I need to add the caption "Ha ha very funny... have you had your fun yet... hmmm??"

3 comments:

Athena's Armoury said...

The girls look absolutely adorable!

The Little Miss said...

oh my gosh so CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m new here to your blog and wanted to “pop” in to say hi! : )
If you would like come check out my blog and enter my current giveaway at littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
I hope you decided to follow me because I try to bring my readers a new and AMAZING giveaway every Monday!
Xo
Priscila

SecondChanceChicken said...

Tooo funny stacey. You wait that baby will get you back when she's a teenager.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates