Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Etsy Widower

My Doug wrote this article for the Etsy Blog in honor of the upcoming Father's Day. Soooo super excited they published it! I'll attach it here, but it's "prettier" on Etsy since Blogger is layout challenged.

A Dude's Perspective: Life as an Etsy Widower
Story by ellebelleonetsy Published on June 4, 2009 in Etc
Photo by ellebelleonetsy
I never dreamed I'd be a widower at age 35...an Etsy Widower, that is. My wife, Stacey, is survived by me, her husband, and our two daughters: Elle, age 3 and our new baby, Liv, due this August. I fear they will both grow up as Etsy Orphans. My only comfort is in the hope that others will hear our story and at least take solace in the fact that they are not alone.

(Oh, I should clarify, my wife hasn't died, I lost her to Etsy.)

Stacey has always been "crafty," and for years I've been supportive of her artistic endeavors. When she found Etsy it seemed harmless enough. We were excited that she would have a venue to share some of the things she's made that make being a mommy easier and more fun for her, like slings and cart covers. So, she opened the Elle Belle shop.

I've come to the conclusion that this site should have come with a disclaimer. I should have been warned — maybe a call, at least an email to the family members, something like "Beware, Etsy has been proven to be extremely habit forming."

I really underestimated the power of Etsy... the allure of the endless diversity of crafts, the variety of search methods, the vast network of like-minded artists. At first my wife was sewing and crafting just on weekends, but before I knew it, the arm of our couch became an impromptu pincushion, our vacuum clogged with strands of discarded threads, and she would even bring the laptop to bed to be with Etsy.

Looking back, I should have seen the warning signs. She had a whole different vocabulary. All conversational roads led to "listings," "treasuries," "tags," and "gift guides." Not only was the home page of every computer in the house set to Etsy.com, but I think I even noticed her mood change following that spiraling string of fellow crafters and customers who hearted her shop.

I'll never forget that fateful day when I overheard what was to be one of Stacey's last conversations with our daughter, Elle. She was trying desperately to convince our three year old that helping Mommy sort a box of mixed up ribbon was a fun way to spend an afternoon. But I realized the end was near when she couldn't even run a quick errand without visiting the fabric pushers or one of her thread dealers.

Stacey is in a better place now. She's gone to be with her adoring customers, loving fellow members of the Florida Etsy Street Team, and the Etsy Bloggers. She still haunts her vendors, too. I can tell from the charges that mysteriously appear in our checking account for designer fabrics, stabilizer, and crafting tools. She lives on through her tireless efforts to keep up with custom orders and dedication to her blog.

I appreciate your heartfelt condolences, and ask that in lieu of cards and flowers you send fat quarters, ribbon, and embroidery floss. Stacey would have wanted it that way.

Our daughter and I are getting along as well as could be expected, I guess, although we're worried about how the new baby will take it. We appreciate your support and want you to know we wear our Etsy Widower and Etsy Orphan shirts proudly in solidarity with all the others who share our loss. Hey, come to think of it, maybe my daughter and I should open an Etsy shop and sell those things. What's the worst thing that could happen?



2 comments:

Cécile said...

Great article, and funny, my husband complains about the same things!

WoollyWonka.etsy.com

amylouwhosews said...

That is HILARIOUS!! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates